[parted-devel] policy regarding unused functions?

David Cantrell dcantrell at redhat.com
Thu Feb 15 17:30:17 CET 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 14:24 -0200, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> David Cantrell <dcantrell at redhat.com> writes:

> >> On this specific case I think that would be better to leave fdasd out
> >> of your patch. We have a fix on Debian package that needs to be ported
> >> (from 1.7 release) and then dasd could be cleaned up.
> >
> > Jim,
> >
> > If they aren't used, we can remove them.  That code was originally
> > written in house at RH and has been carried forward for _years_.  I have
> > not had the time nor patience to sit down and clean up zSeries code.  :)
>
> I don't know if isn't better to wait until those fix are ported to it
> before clean it up.

Yeah, we should probably do it in that order.  Fix hercules, then clean
up the fdasd (and other code...vtoc, etc) code.

> >> David, have you had time to check the edge parted on hercules?
> >
> > Unfortunately no, but I still have it on my agenda.  Honestly, making
> > parted work with hercules is low on my priority list.  I will try to get
> > around to it soon.
>
> Right. No problem.
>
> I just think that is better to let it there until it's fixed to run on
> hercules too since is the utility used by most of people (Debian
> Installer team, included) to test s390.

It's odd that it doesn't work, but emulators never really are perfect
for installer development.  If I could get that working, it would make
my life easier working on anaconda on zSeries because then I wouldn't
always have to use the z990.  :)

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell at redhat.com>
Red Hat / Westford, MA