[parted-devel] FAT16/32 Resize Replacement?

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Wed Oct 19 11:54:39 UTC 2011

Curtis Gedak wrote:
> Has anyone discovered a free software replacement for resizing
> FAT16/32 file systems?
>
> With the release of Parted 3.0, all of the file system resizing code
> was removed.  This included the code for resizing FAT16 and FAT32 file
> systems.
>
> I know of two command line FAT resizing projects, but it appears that
> both of these use the libparted library from the parted project.
> Hence these will cease to work with Parted 3.0+.
>
> fatresize
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/fatresize/
>
> resizefat
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/resizefat/
>

> Jim Meyering,
>
> If I recall you mentioned that someone might be working on a FAT16/32
> resize replacement.
> Do you have any updates on this endeavour?

Hi Curtis,

Yes,  Christoph Hellwig created a repository with code
extracted from parted just before the deletion:

    http://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/hch/fsresize.git

But along with most of the rest of kernel.org, that has not
yet come back after their problem.

It's a fine start, and I expect to autoconfiscate it ASAP.
Let's see if Christoph (Cc'd) is going to republish the repository somewhere.

Jim