Re: Dependency on ‘unittest2’ (was: [RELEASE] ‘python-daemon’ version 2.0.1 released)

Dirkjan Ochtman dirkjan at ochtman.nl
Sat Jan 10 22:15:20 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 9:05 PM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>> One more remark: it would be useful (at least, it would have been
>> useful to me as a packager) if the setup.py noted that
>> unittest2-0.8.0 or newer should be used -- presumably to get the 3.x
>> support.
>
> Looking at <URL:https://pypi.python.org/pypi/unittest2> it's not clear
> to me what version of ‘unittest2’ is needed. (There doesn't seem to be
> a changelog in the ‘unittest2’ source distribution, sadly.)
>
> What is special about version 0.8.0, and can some earlier version
> suffice? What is missing in earlier versions that affects
> ‘python-daemon’'s unit tests?

While running the tests through our packaging framework, the 2.7 tests
worked fine with unittest2-0.5.1 (or perhaps even without unittest2),
but on 3.3 there were all kinds of failures (partly, or perhaps fully,
due to the way that unittest2 pulls in argparse).

I was also sort of surprised that it needed unittest2 anyway, since I
thought most unittest2 features had been pulled into the python
stdlib.

Cheers,

Dirkjan