[Python-modules-team] [Python-modules-commits] r14515 - in packages/logilab-common/trunk/debian (3 files)

Sandro Tosi morph at debian.org
Wed Oct 6 21:32:08 UTC 2010

Hi Julien,

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 13:31, Julien Jehannet
<julien.jehannet at logilab.fr> wrote:
>> * Sandro Tosi <morph at debian.org> [04-oct-2010 11:30]:
>> Hello,
>> it's usually nice write and introduce yourself to other comaints (in
>> particular to active ones) when you're planning to be a new comaint,
>> but sure, thanks for your work :)
>
> Hello Sandro,
>
> Really sorry about this intrusive push and It took me too long to
> communicate to the list my recent changes before I received your mail.

no problem :)

> So, I've just commited by 'svn co' a new revision in logilab-common sub-repo:
> http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/python-modules?view=rev&revision=14515
> since 0.52 is out now (from pypi).

yep I noticed it.

>> Who's gonna upload this new release?
> It's clear that my first commit is a little bit premature.. :-(

I wouldn't call it "premature" just "unexpected" :)

> At the moment, I'm in doubt since I read step 6.2¹ about the tagging
> procedure. Is it necessary to "tag" the repository ? When should the
> package be tagged exactly ? by "svn copy"² command ?

in the DPMT we usually tag repos when the package is uploaded, so
until someone is actually uploading/just uploaded the package, just
don't tag it (ok, we can retag, but let's use it when really needed).
To tag, I tend to use 'svn-buildpackage --svn-tag --svn-tag-only'.

> Humm, after digging into the documentation, it appears that I can't
> make the tag myself since it's a post-upload operation.
> Till now, I thought the svn tag was used as the reference by the
> uploader (still a lot of things to learn about the Debian process..).

yes, sort of (I tend to tag the repo right before starting the upload,
but we can consider the tag as a sponsor job).

>> why you added unittest2 to Depends? isn't it better as a Suggests?
> testlib.py is now requiring unittest2 to keep a level of upward
> compatibility with the next unittest stdlib features.

Ok, let's refresh what's the dependencies fields mean:

Depends - list the packages that are absolutely required to make the
package works
Recommends - list the packages that are quite nice to have since
activate some interesting feature (but the package can work without
them)
Suggests - list the package that activate some really minor package features.

given a test suite is quite unlikely that it's something users are
going to run quite a lot, I'd go with a Suggests.

> Builds-Depends was changed as well to be able to run the tests.

actually, it's Build-Depends-Indep, and in this case yes, the
dependency is strictly required because you need to be able to run
tests at build time.

> «For those who are questioning about this unpolite guy..»:
> My name's Julien Jehannet and works for Logilab company. I registrered some
> months ago but was not an active member since. I'm in charged of some
> debian packaging tasks at my work but I would contribute to Debian in a more
> regular way.

Thanks for your self introduction :) Just a question: are you going to
actually keep contributing to logilab-common in the next future? are
you also willing to help with other logilab packages (like astng,
constraints, pylint, etc?)?

> From my point of view, the source package for logilab-common 0.52 is
> ready to be built. If you've time, I'll be pleased if you accept to
> upload it.

sure, I'll give it a look asap (i.e. some days)

> For my next changes, do you think I can propose you a patch before
> (or sent it on the python-modules but I don't want to noise unecessary).
> It will certainly prevent me for future mistakes..

you can commit directly to the repo, and don't be afraid: you can't
make a mistake we can't fix ;) (and by 'we' I mean you included)

Cheers,