[Python-modules-team] pygame and python 3

Vincent Cheng vcheng at debian.org
Wed Apr 29 10:34:22 UTC 2015

Hi Lenard,

First off, thanks for all your work on pygame!

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 9:26 PM, Lenard Lindstrom <len-l at telus.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Pygame supported python3 since before version 1.9.0 in 2009. All Pygame code
> is written to work with either Python 2.x or 3.x. So building Pygame for
> python3 is the same as for python2. Just use "python3 setup.py build"
> instead of "python setup.py build". Installation is also the same. For
> Pygame 1.9.2, which I
> test against Python 2.7 and 3.4 on i386 Linux Mint, python3 support is
> complete.
>
> So if a stable Pygame package already exists for python2, adapting it for
> python3 should be straight forward. Let me know if some Pygame bug causes
> problems and I will deal with it promptly.
>
> Thanks for the effort in keeping Pygame in Linux.

Just to confirm, does the latest stable pygame release (1.9.1)
actually support python3? Because back when I initially prepared
python3 pygame 1.9.1 packages for Debian a few years back, I recall
that I was able to build it, but just importing pygame with a python3
interpreter resulted in an error. 1.9.2pre works great though.

Is there a rough estimate of when 1.9.2 is expected to be released, by
the way, or is it more along the lines of "it'll be done when it's
done"? ;)

Regards,
Vincent