[Qa-debsources] debsources and debmans

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Fri Nov 25 09:16:22 UTC 2016

Hi Antoine, and thanks for reaching out about this.

On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 11:15:42AM -0500, Antoine Beaupré wrote:
> In particular, I somewhat reused the debsources.debmirror.SourceMirror
> class to make a PackageMirror class that inspects binary packages
> instead of source package.
>
> https://gitlab.com/anarcat/debmans/blob/HEAD/debmans/extractor.py#L257
>
> Do you think we should work towards refactoring that code so that is is
> out of our common projects and into (say) the apt module?

It's not a lot of code, but I think it makes sense nonetheless. On the
other hand, I see python-debian as a more reasonable landing place for
the code, don't you think? Deb822 is already part of that module, and my
impression is that what this layer is adding is extra semantics for the
specific case in which the parsed stanzas represent an on-disk mirror.

I'm not sure we will have the energy to lead the refactoring from the
Debsources camp, but we'll be happy to test proposals of refactored code
to ensure they work for Debsources.

> Anyways, just so you know that publishing the debsources code was the
> right thing to do: it helped me with the design of debmans
> significantly (although I am still struggling to find a decent and
> fast manpage to HTML renderer ;).

Heh, I'm glad it helped :)

BTW, I think you should probably update the copyright header of
extract.py to include Debsources authors (it's probably only me who
modified that code, but git log will tell you for sure).

Cheers.
--
Stefano Zacchiroli . zack at upsilon.cc . upsilon.cc/zack . . o . . . o . o
Computer Science Professor . CTO Software Heritage . . . . . o . . . o o