[sane-devel] saned

Richard hebertrich@yahoo.com
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 09:53:09 -0400

Good Morning.

By now i think i tried it all.

In RH 7.0  inetd dosent exist it was replaced by xinetd.
this is what i did

in  /etc/xinetd.d/sane i got this
 # default: off
 # access to a local
 # scanner via the local network.
 service sane
 {
         port                    = 6566
         socket_type             = stream
         wait                    = no
         user                    = saned
         group                   = saned
         server                  = /usr/sbin/saned
 }

in /etc/sane.d/saned.conf
# saned.conf
localhost                          ( commented out  text is not pasted )

in /stc/sane.d/net.conf
# may be necessary to access devices that need special privileges.
localhost

in /etc/xinetd.conf
# Some defaults, and include /etc/xinetd.d/

service sane
{
        socket_type = stream
        server = /usr/sbin/saned
        protocol = tcp
        user = root
        wait = no
        disable = no
}

that's just a  pert of that file but  you get the idea ..

and  even though i dont have  inetd just in case i did
in /etc/inetd.conf
sane stream tcp nowait root.root /usr/sbin/saned saned

ouf ! : ) now  GIMP  still cant use the scanner.

Where have i gone  wrong ?

I  agree with the previous post  there is a need for a  simple 1,2,3 type
step by step instruction for these scanners.
I use mine in root mode for now cause i need to do this.

An easy way to do this ( that dosent need the user be a programmer )
is really needed.As Linux makes it's way in more and more desktops and
" normal " users are getting Linux on their systems,i am under the impression
that scanner documentation and  software really needs be simplified to allow
normal (read non programmers) users to successfully use their equipment.

Best regards

Richard Hebert