[sane-devel] HP ScanJet 4p "no sane devices found"

abel deuring a.deuring@satzbau-gmbh.de
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 13:35:30 +0100

Bob Soukup wrote:

> Thanks for the prompt reply, Peter.
>
> At your suggestion I tried another scsi cable but still get the same result.
> I don't know if the scanner has or needs a terminator, it worked OK without
> one when it was connected to a Macintosh.  The scsi adapter is an Advansys
> 510 ISA.  Think I could have a bad scsi card?

Macs are surprisingly tolerant to wrong SCSI cabling. If the scanner has
or needs a terminator, should be metioned in the manual. Perhaps you
find some switch labeled "terminator on/off" near the SCSI ID selector
switch.

You should also make sure that the other end of the cable is properly
terminated; perhaps the adapter's bios or the adapter driver allow to
select the transfer rate. 5 MB/s should be enough for the scanner.

Abel