[sane-devel] Thoughts on compilation

jim.george@blueyonder.co.uk jim.george@blueyonder.co.uk
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 07:47:13 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Oliver Rauch wrote:

> jim.george@blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
> >
> > Oliver,
> >
> >         fair enough I wasn't aware the conversation had already taken place,
> > although I suppose I should have guessed.
> >
> >         However one comment you made worried me...compilation taking minutes
> > or seconds?  Mine ran for hours literaly 2-3 hours!  I have a Pentium III with
> > 288MB.
> >
> >         What can be going wrong?
> >

> Hi Jim,
>
> I just did a test compilation of the current cvs version of sane-backends
> on a celeron1100 with 256MB RAM, built beackends:
>
> PRELOADABLE_BACKENDS = abaton agfafocus apple artec as6e avision bh canon \
>         coolscan dc25 dc210 dc240 dmc epson  hp m3096g \
>         microtek microtek2 mustek mustek_pp mustek_usb nec net pie  \
>         plustek  qcam ricoh s9036 sharp  snapscan sp15c \
>         st400 tamarack umax umax_pp umax1220u v4l
>

> SuSE 7.1
> gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)
>
> configure: 14 seconds
> make: 5 minutes 34 seconds
>
> Looks like your system has a serious problem.

Oliver,

	I compiled sane last night and got these results

real	8m46.646s
user	4m30.000s
sys	4m5.680s

	This was when compiling for PRELOADABLE =
	PRELOADABLE_BACKENDS = canon gphoto2 mustek mustek_pp mustek_usb

SuSE 7.1
gcc version 2.95.2

	I'm having 2nd thoughts about what my box is, except I do know I have 288MB RAM and am not using any swap space.

Jim