[sane-devel] Scanning negatives with Epson Perferction 1260 Photo

Major A andras@users.sourceforge.net
Sat, 2 Aug 2003 01:01:27 +0100

Jonathan,

> The only way to get good negatives scans under Linux that I know is
> to use VueScan. This is however shareware. You also need a proper
> negative scanner but that is a separate matter.

This is a SANE email list. People do not usually come here to ask
questions about other pieces of software, and certainly not to be
recommended a piece of _commercial_ software. Your statement that good
negative scans can only be produced with VueScan under Linux is simply
false, as I have proven to myself (using the Nikon LS-30). The way of
getting there might be different, but the result is the same
(actually, with the Coolscan2 backend, it's usually better).

In any case, we are here to develop a cross-platform scanning package
that is at least as good as anything else out there. If you fell that
SANE is really that far behind VueScan, please feel free to help by
creating a negative-oriented frontend. But please don't in any case
direct users to a piece of commercial software that has nothing to do
with SANE.

  Andras

Major Andras
    e-mail: andras@users.sourceforge.net