[sane-devel] Scanning negatives with Epson Perferction 1260 Photo

Sun, 3 Aug 2003 02:19:13 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 02:54:12PM +0100, Jonathan Buzzard wrote:
> > I've asked multiple times for concrete proposals how the standard can
> > be changed or appended. Each time there hasn't been any response. With
> > "concrete proposals" I mean patches to SANE2 or at least the text of
> > the to-be-added well-known options.
> >
> > If I remember correctly, we came to the conclusion that most proposed
> > features can be done by adding well-known options (like multi-pass,
> > selection of a specific range of images, auto/manual focus) and
> > providing the functionality in the backend. So please send proposals.
>
> I did sit down and make a long list of things that I thought where missing
> from the SANE API for negative scanning and posted it to this list.

I haven't forgotten that and it's appreciated.

> I am not sufficiently familiar with the SANE API to be qualified to
> make good proposals on how it should be extended, and it would take
> significant amounts of my time that I don't have to do so.

Well ok, I guess there are more people than you who use a film scanner :-)

> > If none of the people who use film scanners provide the necessary
> > changes, they won't be done.
>
> I honestly feel I have done my bit.

My mail wasn't meant as am offense to you. It's more an explantion why
these issues are not yet solved in SANE V2.

> To then expect me to become sufficiently familiar with the API to make
> good proposals of how to implement this features is in my opinion asking
> to much. It is hard enough to propose good API's even when you understand
> everything fully, but to skillfully extend an existing standard is
> in my opinion best done by those intimately familiar with it.

That's ok. I'm just saying that I'm not personally interested in film
scanners so I won't write those sections myself. If nobody else does
it, then nothing happens.

> > I can't talk about that specific scanner, but with my Mustek BearPaw
> > flatbed scanner I also get too much noise with dark slides or
> > negatives. With those scanners I didn't have trouble to get good
> > images from brighter negatives when using XSanes film selection option
> > by the way.
>
> Good is clearly very subjective here. I messed around with scanning
> negatives on various flatbeds. The results where never very satisfactory
> which is why I have proper film scanner these days.

I don't say it's as good as with film scanners. In fact I can't
compare because I don't have one. But it's not worse than with the
Windows driver and it's enough for me for printing slides /negatives
with m ink jet or for putting the scans on the web.