[sane-devel] saned/Epson problems - ?third try?

Lars Täuber taeuber@bbaw.de
Tue, 07 Jan 2003 12:07:57 +0100

Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 09:53:31AM +0100, Lars Täuber wrote:
>
>>we use a scan-server with an epson scanner attached.
>>this server has no x, so we can't test xsane or xscanimage localy.
>>first i wrote to khk, because we thought it was a xsane problem.
>>
>>now we encounter a cancel problem with xscanimage and net backend too.
>>

> scanimage works?

yes, but i'll test it again to be sure.

>>i attached the scanner to a linux box running X and had no problems
>>using xsane with the local epson backend.
>>

> You are using the standard epson backend that comes with sane and not
> the epson kowa backend made by Epson?

no, i use sane backend (is the kowa backend for sane?)

> Which version of SANE do you use on the server?

1.0.9 on both - client and server

there is another client in the intranet that has not the problems but it
is an older xsane (0.77 i think) and an older sane version (1.0.7 i
think), but i'll have a lock again

(xsane 0.77 -> net client 1.0.7 -> saned server 1.0.9 works) (10mbit
switched)

(xsane 0.90 -> net client 1.0.9 -> saned server 1.0.9 doesn't work) (100mbit switched)

>>we can't switch to color mode or to transparency unit using xsane over
>>net backend
>>

> What error happens? Please show us the complete output in syslog that
> was generated by saned. Example:
>
> Jan  7 11:43:06 hmg1 saned[9424]: connect from hmg1
> Jan  7 11:43:06 hmg1 saned[9424]: saned from sane-backends 1.0.9-cvs ready
> Jan  7 11:43:06 hmg1 saned[9424]: check_host: access by remote host: 127.0.0.1
> Jan  7 11:43:06 hmg1 saned[9424]: init: access by hmg@127.0.0.1 accepted
> Jan  7 11:43:23 hmg1 saned[9424]: quit: exiting

i'll take a snapshot tonight

> Does the error also happens if you use the test backend? e.g.
> xsane net:hostname:test

never testet before but tonight i'll try (when i have time to)

>>xscanimage works so far - only canceling scanning freezes xscanimage
>>(over net backend)
>>

> The implementation of the cancel function in SANE can be tricky and
> the net backend sometimes shows bugs that aren't apperent without it.
> But it's hard to tell the cause when the problem can't be reproduced.
> So I guess it's up to the backend maintainer to find out what's wrong
> here, if he can reproduce :-)
>
> I tried with my (non-Epson) scanners and can cancel scans without
> problems.

i had not that problem with a plustek backend over net but others so i
switched to epson