[sane-devel] HP Scanjet 2300c

Mon, 16 Jun 2003 16:07:16 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 12:20:39PM +0100, Celso Pinto wrote:
> I all, I noticed there's no support for the HP 2300c scanner. I'd be
> very glad to develop the driver but I have no experience at all
> developing for Linux so i'd really appreciate if someone could just
> please spend some time explaing me how to setup a development
> environment and i'll give my best to bring a driver as soon as possible
> (after all my 2300c scanner is gathering dust :) ).

The biggest problem usually is to find out which protocol the scanner
speaks. If you can't get a detailed protocol description from the
manufacturer (unlikely), you'll have to "sniff" the USb connection
under Windows. Some links:

http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/misc/develop.html
http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/misc/unsupported.html

When you have gathered some protocoll data, try to understand what's
going on. E.g. which series of transfers moves the scan head to the
beginning and how to scan in gray mode.

Concerning programming on Linux: a compiler (gcc), an editor, some
libraries like libusb and the SANE source code will be enough.

I recommend to start with wroting a simple C program that uses
sanei/sanei_usb.c to wrire some stuff to the scanner and read the
results.

sanei_usb is documented here:
http://sanei.meier-geinitz.de/sanei__usb_8h.html

And please inform us about what you do. If possible, set up a website
with all the information you find so others can help or use the
information.