[sane-devel] FreeBSD and Microtek Scanmaker II

abel deuring a.deuring@satzbau-gmbh.de
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 11:26:03 +0200

Matto Marjanovic wrote:

>  >OK, so we have indeed a flaw in the Linux SCSI system... I assume that
>  >the scanners identify themselves as SCSI 1 devices, where these short
>  >sense data blocks are normal.
>
> They do identify themselves, as a protocol between SCSI-1 and SCSI-2.
>  ("SCSI_1_CCS" in drivers/scsi/scsi.h.  This macro is used nowhere else
>  in the Linux SCSI code.)
>
>  >Did you try to issue REQUEST SENSE explicitly from the backend, where
>  >this looks reasonable? This may not work with every Linux adapter driver
>
> Hmm, I never thought of that.  (For the longest time, I figured the drivers
>  would eventually get fixed; they haven't.)  I'll give it a try.
>
> I don't suppose that a REQUEST SENSE can be issued by the sense handler
>  itself?

That would be a bit risky, I think. The problem is the Linux part of
sanei_scsi.c. It supports command queueing, and without a careful
review, how the command queue management works, I would recommend not to
try a REQUEST SENSE from the sense handler itself.

Abel