[sane-devel] What next?

Fri, 27 Jun 2003 18:24:16 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 10:43:46AM -0500, Roger O Wales wrote:
> > So what do you want to achieve? What doesn't work when you do what
> > I told you? What did you do until now? What scanner do you use? Which
> > operating system? Which version of SANE?
>
> I can answer a few of your questions.  I use Visioneer OneTouch 5800 on a
> Mandrake 9.1 operating system.

That one is unsupported by SANE as far as we know.

> I have a scanner0 at /dev/usb  I believe
> I hace an unsupported scanner. sane-find-scanner found USB scanner
> vendor=0x04a7 (Visioneer) and product=0x0226 (Model 5800).

Ok, so the kernel has detected it. That's ok.

> I have inserted these into /etc/modules.conf.

Ok, but probably not necessary.

> > With supported scanners and recent Linux distributions your USB scanner
> should just work out-of-the-box.
>
> Since I don't have that luxury, I have to choose to write a SANE driver
> for Visioneer 5800 or try to use a generic libusb driver.

No, you don't have these choice. You (or someone else) must write a
SANE driver (backend). That backend uses either libusb or the kernel
scanner driver. So definitely need a SANE backend for every scanner.
libusb and the kernel scanner driver just provide the means to contact
the scanner. All the "intelligent" work is done in the backend.

> I don't know how to do either one of these, so I must call for HELP!

Well, see the discussions on this list and:

http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/misc/unsupported.html