[sane-devel] HP 7450C USB scanner failure with ADF

Sat, 28 Jun 2003 19:25:36 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 09:00:21AM -0700, Thomas Frayne wrote:
> > > The scanner hung as before, and the following appeared in
> > > messages.
> > > Jun 26 12:18:37 localhost kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
> > > Jun 26 12:18:37 localhost kernel: usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 2 ep 0x82 len 1 ret -110
> >
> > This time you don't have loaded the scanner driver. Did you try with
> > the scanner driver instead?
>

> I don't understand your question.  How do I try with the scanner driver?
> What is the name of the scanner driver?

Well, in your last mail you told us that you loaded the scanner driver
:-)

Simplified: There are two ways to access a USB scanner by the kernel:
Either by a specific driver for scanners ("kernel USB scanner driver",
"scanner.o") or by the generic USB driver ("usbfs", "usbdevfs",
"devio", "libusb").

If you load the kernel scanner driver (modprobe scanner) and it
detectes your scanner, you can access the scanner only over that
kernel scanner driver. If it's not loaded, libusb (usbdevfs) is used.

In the kernel messages you get an error "kernel: usbdevfs:
USBDEVFS_BULK ..." so I assume the kernel scanner driver was not
loaded at that point. If it was and the same error occured, the mssage
would come from scanner.c, not from usbdevfs.

man sane-usb, http://www.meier-geinitz.de/kernel/