[sane-devel] HP 7450C USB scanner failure with ADF

Rene Rebe rene.rebe@gmx.net
Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:25:24 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:11:10 +0200,
    Henning Meier-Geinitz <henning@meier-geinitz.de> wrote:

> > This made scanimage -L work after rebooting,
> =

> Rebooting shouldn't be ever necessary. But if your scanner hangs,
> unplugging it may help.

Power off is needed for the scanner to loose all state.

> > Now I am pretty sure that my problem is in usbdevfs, but I don't kn=
ow
> > how to fix it.  =

> =

> I don't think so. The timeouts occur because the scanner doesn't
> understand something the backend sends. That may be a backend broblem=

> or something odd in the USB system.

The scanner should "understand" all. It works here with a old HP 5300
and a slightly newer HP 5300 labelled as 5370.

Which host controller chip and respective kernel driver is this?

If communication via libusb is not reliable for you, you still can use
the "deprecated" hpusbscsi driver in the kernel - but _not_ the
scanner driver.

> > What can I try next?
> =

> Try the scanner driver. If it shows the same behaviour, you are sure
> that it's not usbfs.

The scanner driver will not work - because of the missing interrupt
endpoint notification support - but I do not want to support a 3rd "to
be removed in the future" access method. So I think hpusbscsi and
libusb should be ok.

> Otherwise, well, wait until the avision maintainer shows up again :-)=

CC'ing me always helps a lot ;-)

> Bye,
>   Henning

Sincerely yours,