[sane-devel] Re: Sane-devel digest, Vol 1 #382 - 3 msgs

Sat, 29 Mar 2003 18:04:18 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 10:04:25AM -0500, aselby wrote:
> From http://www.linux-usb.org/:
>
>   05e3 Genesys Logic, Inc.
>       0120 Pacific Image Electronics PrimeFilm 1800u slide/negative scanner
>
> my /var/log/messages: usb.c: USB device 4 (vend/prod 0x5e3/0x120) is not
> claimed by any active driver

Ok. I'll add the device ids to the SANE lists and the Linux kernel
scanner driver.

> GenSys: http://www.genesyslogic.com/GL841.htm - 50 page data sheet

Better than nothing but I don't think it's enough to write a driver.
It's more a hardware or register description.

> I am about 30 years rusty on writing device drivers-  Can you provide
> some kickstart info for the above?

Find out how the scanner works, possibly by looking how the driver
works under Windows. Write a simple program that tries to do the same
under Linux. Then convert the program to a SANE backend.

Have a look at http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/misc/develop.html and
doc/backend-writing.txt in your SANE distribution. Also search the
sane-devel list, this topic is discussed quite often.

When you start coding or even only have more data, please contact us.
It would be good if you could put all the information and code on a
web page so we can link from the scanner lists to it.

Good luck!