[sane-devel] Re: SANE, Epson backend on NetBSD

Michael Piotrowski mxp@dynalabs.de
Mon, 06 Oct 2003 01:21:38 +0200

Hi,

First of all, thanks to Karl Heinz and Henning for the quick replys,
and I'm sorry for the confusion: uk is the SCSI user-level (pass-thru,
generic) driver on NetBSD, I should have said this.

Henning Meier-Geinitz <henning@meier-geinitz.de> writes:

> On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 07:15:26PM +0200, Michael Piotrowski wrote:
>> While SANE 1.0.9 works fine on NetBSD, there problems with current
>> SANE versions (1.0.12, CVS) and/or the Epson backend on NetBSD.
>>
>> I've got a link from /dev/uk0 to /dev/scanner, and sane-find-scanner
>> finds the scanner:
>
> Try adding "/dev/scanner" to epson.conf.

Yes, of course!  I had tried "scsi /dev/scanner", since I had
forgotten that it's just "/dev/scanner"--I've used it on HP-UX, but I
had gotten used to the autodetection on Linux ... So it was purely my
fault, it's working fine now.

>> Any ideas on how to proceed?
>
> As far as I know there is still no code to autodetect SCSI scanners
> for NetBSD in sanei/sanei_scsi.c. Patches are welcome.

Noted.  I'm currently busy, but I think I'll look at it when I find
some spare time.

> If autodetection had worked, your scanner would have been detected by
> the "scsi EPSON" line in epson.conf.

Thanks for the hint--it made me re-read sane-scsi(5), and I'm seeing
much clearer now :-)

Thanks and greetings

--
Michael Piotrowski, M.A.                               <mxp@dynalabs.de>