[sane-devel] xsane preview and scanning problem

Rich budman85@eastlink.ca
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:45:16 -0400

Hi,

I searched through the archives and found an article "xsane preview and
scanning problem" from Tue, 4 Feb 2003 20:47:53 by HoonKook Shim that
explains the same problems I am now encountering.

I recently upgraded to 2.6.10 from 2.6.9, hoping to address some scsi
issues with cdrecord and xsane.  However, after upgrading, the same
issues exist.

My scanner is detecting correctly. After applying permissions to
the /dev/scanner, I can run as root or any user. I can run the preview
over and over, with no issues.  The scanner works correctly. However,
when I press scan - xsane freezes after the scanner begins to move.

I've tried scanimage, same issue.  It detects the scanner, but cannot
scan an image.

Once xsane or scanimage freezes, the scanner can no longer be detected.
However, if I reset the power on the scanner after about 15 seconds or
so, after reset, I can once again detect the scanner successfully.

I also commented out any backend I'm not using in the dll.conf file.

Here are the specs:

Linux 2.6.10

scsi1 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.36
        <Adaptec 2930CU SCSI adapter>
        aic7860: Ultra Single Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 3/253 SCBs

sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 0x/56x cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
  Vendor: UMAX      Model: Astra 2200        Rev: V2.2
  Type:   Scanner                            ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Attached scsi generic sg1 at scsi1, channel 0, id 2, lun 0,  type 6
  Vendor: HP        Model: CD-Writer+ 9200   Rev: 1.0c
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 04
sr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr1 at scsi1, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
Attached scsi generic sg2 at scsi1, channel 0, id 4, lun 0,  type 5

sane-find-scanner
found SCSI scanner "UMAX Astra 2200 V2.2" at /dev/scanner
found SCSI scanner "UMAX Astra 2200 V2.2" at /dev/sg1

scanimage -L
device `umax:/dev/scanner' is a UMAX     Astra 2200       flatbed
scanner
device `umax:/dev/sg1' is a UMAX     Astra 2200       flatbed scanner

xsane-0.96 (c) 1998-2004 Oliver Rauch
  Email: Oliver.Rauch@xsane.org
  package xsane-0.96
  compiled with GTK-2.4.10
  with GIMP support, compiled with GIMP-2.0.4
  XSane output formats: jpeg, png, pnm, ps, tiff, txt
sane-backends-1.0.15
sane-frontends-1.0.13

Thanks,
Regards