[sane-devel] epson 2400 neg scans

epl@unimelb.edu.au epl@unimelb.edu.au
Sat, 12 Jun 2004 00:30:46 +1000 (EST)

> The Perfection 1670 and the 2400 look interesting. It appears that the
> former is not supported by sane and runs on a different chip set to
> other Perfection scanners so I'll stike that from the list.

Peter,
   I've got an Epson Perfection 1670 Photo and I'd be glad to answer any
questions you (or anyone else on this mailing list) have. Please Cc me as
I haven't subscribed to this list.

Pros:
- Works under both Linux's scanner kernel module and libusb.
- I've gotten it to work under both Debian unstable (very easy, glorious
  apt-get) and Red Hat 9.0 (heavily mangled with alien-converted debs).
- I was also able to get the Epson firmware file using unshield (CVS
  version from the synce project). Else, you can get it from:
  http://www.commercialventvac.com/~jeffs/epson1670andFedora.html
- Flatbed scanning (ie not transparency) works even up to the maximum
  resolution of 1600dpi. Jeff's result (above) maybe caused by the older
  sane-backend-1.0.13 -- shrugs.
- The transparency scanning works to the extent that the fluorescence
  light can be controlled from sane.

Cons:
- A bit expensive IMHO.
- The four scanner buttons doesn't have any effect.
- Film scanning seems to introduce fine lines (only noticeable at high
  resolutions) that isn't due to the negative.
- Not sure which component is at fault, but the colour of the
  film/negatives aren't properly calibrated.

As far as I'm concerned, film scanning of the 1670 isn't usable under
sane. Of course, it is distinctly possible that I haven't got things setup
correctly as I've never played with film (35mm Kodak) scanning before. It
is also possible that the CVS version of sane-backend fixes some of the
above problems (currently using 1.0.14).

BTW, thank you to the developers who integrated 1670 support into sane.

Cheers
Eddie