[sane-devel] Epson 1640SU + ADF

Klaus Dittrich kladit@t-online.de
Fri, 07 May 2004 20:45:24 +0200

Alex wrote:

>Hi!
>

>I have an Epson 1640SU office scanner and I am trying to make the document
>feeder work. I saw in the archives this may be quite difficult... I am
>running 2.6.5 kernel and the scanner is USB pluged. Here are the version
>of sane I am using:
>

>dpkg -l | grep sane
>ii  libsane        1.0.13-4       API library for scanners
>ii  sane           1.0.11-3       Scanner graphical frontends
>ii  sane-utils     1.0.13-4       API library for scanners -- utilities
>ii  xsane          0.92-2         A gtk-based X11 frontend for SANE
>

>/etc/sane.d/epson.conf contains only 'usb', the scanner is well
>recognized:
>

>scanimage -L
>device `epson:libusb:001:003' is a Epson Perfection1640 flatbed scanner
>

>All works fine in flatbed mode so I tried to use my automatic document
>feeder. And this is the problem: I don't have any ADF option in source
>parameter of scanimage:
>

>scanimage -h
> Optional equipment:
>    --source Flatbed|Transparency Unit [Flatbed]
>        Selects the scan source (such as a document-feeder).
>

>I don't have any Transparency unit...
>

>So, is it possible to make the ADF work with epson 1640SU with 2.6 kernel
>and USB? Any help would be greatly welcomed.
>

>Thanks.
>Alex

I use an Epson 1640SU too and it works here, but not out of the box.
I use kernel 2.6.6-rc3.  In  sane-backends-1.0.14/backend/epson.c
make the feed() function to immediately return SANE_STATUS_GOOD;

Then use scanimage -d epson:libusb:00x:00x  --source "Automatic Document
Feeder" ..
and it should work.
--
Klaus