[sane-devel] scanner that worked with linux 2.4 does not work with 2.6 : libusb fiasco (maybe firmware upload problem)

Oliver Schwartz Oliver.Schwartz@gmx.de
Sun, 7 Nov 2004 12:15:00 +0100

Hi,

> I know that I need libusb with linux 2.6 but how do I point to the
> device ?

You don't need to, it'll be found automatically. You only need to
specify vendor and product id in snapscan.conf, e.g.
usb 0x04a5 0x20b0

> sane-find-scanner finds none
>
> sane-find-scanner /proc/bus/usb/001/022
> says
> found USB scanner (UNKNOWN vendor and product) at device
> /proc/bus/usb/001/022

Try running sane-find-scanner without any arguments. If no scanner is
found it's most likely a permission problem. See "man sane-usb" for
possible solutions.

> I played a lot with snapscan.conf, so far best results with:
>
> firmware /usr/local/scanner/benq4300u/u176v042.bin
> usb 0x04a5 0x20b0
> /proc/bus/usb/001/022
> libusb:001:022

You only need two entries, the firmware entry and the "usb 0x04a5
0x20b0". You _must not_ use any device entries.

The problem is that the device file will change dynamically depending
on when and how often you switch on your scanner. There's no way to
have the scanner use the same device file every time.

/Oliver