[sane-devel] some english words

Mattias Ellert mattias.ellert@tsl.uu.se
Sat, 23 Oct 2004 20:11:15 +0200

2004-10-23 kl. 19.18 skrev Henning Meier-Geinitz:

> saneopts.h already contains a brightness option so this should be used
> if radiance is really the same:
> #define SANE_NAME_BRIGHTNESS            "brightness"
> #define SANE_TITLE_BRIGHTNESS           SANE_I18N("Brightness")
> #define SANE_DESC_BRIGHTNESS \
> SANE_I18N("Controls the brightness of the acquired image.")

Yes, but it does not contain brightness per channel (as mustek.c):

   s->opt[OPT_BRIGHTNESS_R].name = "brightness-r";
   s->opt[OPT_BRIGHTNESS_R].title = SANE_I18N ("Red brightness");
   s->opt[OPT_BRIGHTNESS_R].desc = SANE_I18N ("Controls the brightness
of "
                                              "the red channel of the "
                                              "acquired image.");

While we're at it...

What is the difference between blacklevel and shadow resp. whitelevel
and highlight

For the "one setting for all channels" option the descriptions are the
same:

#define SANE_DESC_BLACK_LEVEL \
SANE_I18N("Selects what radiance level should be considered \"black\".")

#define SANE_DESC_SHADOW \
SANE_I18N("Selects what radiance level should be considered \"black\".")

#define SANE_DESC_WHITE_LEVEL \
SANE_I18N("Selects what radiance level should be considered \"white\".")

#define SANE_DESC_HIGHLIGHT \
SANE_I18N("Selects what radiance level should be considered \"white\".")

When the channels are split the descriptions differ:

/* SANE_DESC_BLACK_LEVEL_R does not exist */

#define SANE_DESC_SHADOW_R \
SANE_I18N("Selects what red radiance level should be considered
\"black\".")

#define SANE_DESC_WHITE_LEVEL_R \
SANE_I18N("Selects what red radiance level should be considered
\"white\".")

#define SANE_DESC_HIGHLIGHT_R \
SANE_I18N("Selects what red radiance level should be considered \"full
red\".")

The description for SANE_DESC_WHITE_LEVEL_R doesn't make sense to me,
since 100% red would mean "full red" and not "white". But then it again
would be the same as the SANE_DESC_HIGHLIGHT_R. But I might have the
wrong conception here...

If there is some difference between the meanings of the options that
difference should be made clear in the option description. If there is
no difference, then one of the option titles should be dropped to avoid
confusion and ease maintainance.

	Mattias