[sane-devel] CanoScan LiDE20 - broken driver and so

Gerhard Jaeger gerhard at gjaeger.de
Sun Aug 28 11:07:00 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Friday 26 August 2005 12:03, Aldo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I read the mails telling taht the driver is broken now,
> but a few months ago someone told here on this list that we had to
> upgrade to v. 1.0.15 while SuSE 9.0 provides 1.0.13, (who was exactly
> running as mentionned in another mail here: scanning once, then you had
> to reboot or so).

that is/was a problem of the libusb/hotplug subsystem - not a SANE
related one.

You've been told to upgrade, because a lot of users complained about
pictures being too dark.

> My question is: if it is a "free time" problem, why not working /
> investigating on more coworkers? the problem with de LiDE series is,
> that they are very very popular, probably because they are cheap and
> VERY compact (n.b. that was for us the reason tu buy such scanner).

The problem has been tracked down and fixed now in CVS. The major problem
is the non-existent support from the hardware vendors themself.

The other thing is, that it is not only a time problem, the stripes are
non existent on my test device, but the production tolerance for those
cheap CIS based devices are that large, that the code was not able to
rack that all down and the test base was too small - new code has
not really been tested by users but new features have been requested...
You can imagine, that for me it is not possible to check every single
scanner, when changing the code (in the meantime I have about 20 devices
here...)

> Another idea: if there is a maintainer of the driver for deb and rpm
> packages, shouldn't they accept to take some time to help a little?
>
> Unfortunately I'm not developper; the only thing I could do is offering
> a "bounty" / Donation for the one (or org) whou can help resolving this
> IMHO important problem.

He, he, go ahead with that idea ;)
As I told you, in CVS the problem is fixed now.

> At this moment my wife continues to use the LiDE20 under Windows, while
> she had hoped to migrate entirely to Linux, (currently Debian Sarge).

Hope she can now go back to Linux.

Ciao,
Gerhard