[sane-devel] Plustek scanner - follow up

m. allan noah anoah at pfeiffer.edu
Fri Aug 4 16:18:25 UTC 2006

the permissions of the device file /dev/parport0 need to be changed.

in the old days, we would use chmod or chown. if you are still using
kernel 2.4, this might work for you.

more modern systems do not have static device files on the hard drive, the
files are created at each boot. so if you make perms changes, they will be
lost at each reboot. there are a myriad of solutions to this, including
hotplug/coldplug, udev, devfs, and resmgr. which one of those you need
depends on which linux you are using, and how recently it has been updated
:(

fortunately, it seems that most distros have settled on udev, so things
should hopefully settle down (tongue firmly in cheek)

allan