[sane-devel] Location of some backend's files

m. allan noah anoah at pfeiffer.edu
Sun Dec 3 17:13:07 CET 2006

On Sun, 3 Dec 2006, JKD wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm hp3900 backend's developer. Due to this backend supports some
> scanners and new devices could be supported in the future I'm thinking
> about the possibility to create different config files for each
> scanner capabilities to maintain code's structure legible.

but you will have to add code that parses these files, and builds them
into an array of structs. having that array compiled into the backend
will be faster, and maybe less code.

> It's not simple configuration which user should change but internal
> values to program RTS8822 chip in each case (area constrains to scan,
> sensor timing values, motor curves...) so I wouldn't set them at
> sane.d/hp3900.conf

if they are not user-changeable, then why do they need to be a separate
file?

> Is there any standard path in SANE to locate such files? Something
> like sane.d/backend's name/ or may be /usr/share/backend's name/

i would consider it a security risk to have such a low-level control file
read from the home-dir of the user, and non-linux systems may not have a
/usr/share, but they will have the sane.d config-file dir, so perhaps
sane.d/backendname/ is best (though i dont see the need for it...)

allan