[sane-devel] Problems in 1.0.18, sane_fujitsu, USB fi5120C.

m. allan noah anoah at pfeiffer.edu
Fri Dec 15 13:42:32 CET 2006

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006, Lonny Granstrom wrote:

regarding the option help texts:

> My understanding was FLATBED used -l,-t,-x,-y & ADF used --pagewidth,
> --pageheight.

ahh, i see your problem. pagewidth/height tell the scanner the physical
size of the paper in the adf, they are not sent to the scanner when using
flatbed. l/t/x/y tell the scanner where inside the physical area (paper or
flatbed) to make the scan, and so, are used by both adf and flatbed modes.

i guess you always do full page adf scans, so have never used the l/t/x/y
with adf. it worked the same under 1.0.17, except the backend would set
x/y to pagewidth/height by default.

> Since you have "unlocked" scan-area/paper-size in .18 not sure where FLATBED
> or ADF
> references should be included now.

very simple, t/l/x/y work on both, and only pagewidth/height are adf
specific.

>>> So this means what?
>>> The .17 command:
>>> "scanadf -d <device> --pagewidth 100.0 --pageheight 60.0"
>>> that produced correct results, a scanned image from the ADF 100mm x 60mm
>>> automatically centered [matching adjustable paper guide movements], now
>>> should be the .18 command:
>>> "scanadf -d <device> -l 62.4 -x 100.0 -y 60.0"
>>> to produce the same results?
>>
>> try:
>>
>> scanadf --pagewidth 100.0 --pageheight 60.0 -x 100.0 -y 60.0
>>

> The command worked.
> This behavior is confusing:
> 1. Cannot use defaults for the other arguments when using
>    --pagewidth [Invalid Argument], but with -x it is recognized?

that is unfortunately up to the scanner. some of them will let you set -x
bigger than --pagewidth, and i dont know which ones, so i try it on all.

> 2. Using -y without --pageheight does "lock" both in fi5120C ADF.

no, it does not. it just stops looking at the paper, and ejects whatever
remains. if you use the double feed detection by length that is in the cvs
version, this will cause errors.

> 3. Using -x & --pagewidth in combination versus -l & -x?

l sets the left margin of the area of the page you want to scan, just like
on the flatbed. the only difference is that the flatbed measures -l away
from the fixed margin of the glass, while the adf uses the paperwidth to
determine where the edge of the paper is, and -l moves in from that spot.

> Will dutifully pass all 4 arguments in .18.

yes. you can think of the two 'areas' as being independent. you must give
paper size, and you must tell how much of paper you want to scan. i will
see if i can figure out how to default these like .17 did, and still keep
the overscan capability. i will certainly try to clarify the help text for
pagewidth/height, thanks for the suggestions.

allan