[sane-devel] Getting scanner to work

Gerard Klaver gerard at gkall.hobby.nl
Thu Dec 28 17:45:12 CET 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-28 at 14:07 +0100, JKD wrote:
> El Thu, 28 de Dec de 2006, a las 12:09:22PM +0100, BALLABIO GERARDO dijo:
> > I've been given an old scanner by a friend (not sure exactly how old,
> > but the drivers cd says "windows 95, 98 and NT") and have been trying to
> > run it from Debian Sarge. It's the first time I plug a scanner into a
> > Linux box.
> >
> > After an "apt-get search scanner", I installed sane, then tried to run
> > xscanimage, but it printed this and exited:
> >
> >   No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something
> > different,
> >   check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
> >   sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
> >   which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
> >
> > So I tried sane-find-scanner and got this:
> >
> >     # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
> >     # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
> >     # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.
> >
> >     # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make
> > sure that
> >     # you have loaded a SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.
> >
> >   found USB scanner (vendor=0x05cb, product=0x1483) at libusb:001:002
>
> Your scanner "Compeye Simples 8110U" is not supported:
>
> http://www.sane-project.org/unsupported/trust-combiscan-19200.html
>
> > >From the manpages, I found that the scanner device should be called
> > something like /dev/scanner or /dev/usb/scanner or /dev/sg0, but there's
> > nothing like that. Here's the output of "ls /dev":
>
> Since linux kernel 2.6 most of usb devices are managed using libusb, so there
> isn't any device node related to usb scanners at /dev. Anyway there isn't any
> backend to manage that scanner.
>
>  Jonathan Bravo

The hp4200 (LM9830 + PV9830) and the umax1220u (.. +PV9830) backend)
uses the same par/usb bridge).
Your scanner probaly has inside a LM9820 and PV9830 so is different
compared with the hp4200 backend, for difference see National
Semiconductor datasheets for LM9820 and LM9830.
If there is already a backend which uses a LM9820 i don't know?
--
--------
m.vr.gr.