[sane-devel] Might try to create backend for Visioneer 6600

JC SIMS hateyourjunkmail at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 3 04:37:29 UTC 2006

I hate having to run windows just to scan something, so I thought I might give this a shot, since I haven't seen anyone else pick it up.

I am not sure if I will have success, or if I will run out of time, but I have done some initial research.  I got some scan session usb logs.   I could not get any usb snoopers to work in XP under VMWare, so instead I turned on VMWare usb logging and pulled the info from the vmware log file.

I have gotten the source for sane, and started trying to get oriented.  I can use the sanei_usb functions to connect to the scanner and verify the product and vendor code.  My next step was going to be to ask it for the descriptor, but I am not sure how exactly to do that.

How do you get the response back from sanei_usb_control_msg?  Does it always require a buffer and does it always return the response back on that buffer (the same one you passed in and may have sent data over...)?

I know from the trace that I should send something like this:  80 06 00 01 00 00 12 00.  And I would expect in return something like this:
80 06 00 01 00 00 12 00
12 01 10 01 00 00 00 08 a7 04 2a 02 00 00 01 03
00 01

Could someone point me to sample code that shows the "right" way to do this?  Is there a usb/sane tutorial that is "perfect" for someone looking into this?  The other backends are good examples of course, but maybe something that is usb but pretty simple, for the beginner.  If one of the backends is extra easy to comprehend, maybe suggest one for me.  I have looked at several; there is a lot going on.  I get the idea but it's easy to get lost in the details.

The only other thing, is there any tip or reference for deciphering the usb messages?  The only one I recognize is the very generic: 80 06 00 01 00 00 12 00 (get device descriptor I believe...).  It took me an hour or two to figure out what was going on there ( I didn't know the structure of usb messages).  The references I found don't offer tips much beyond the get descriptor messages.  At least they got me that far.  But I wonder if there is some better source of info about the messages?  There are a lot of them in my scan file and I don't know what any of them are....I know that some are custom vendor codes and that's the whole point, but I bet a lot of them could be standard, if I knew how to tell.

If anyone is interested in looking at my scan logs either to help or or any other reason, say so and I can find somewhere to put them where you can get at them.  I'm pretty sure there some of you guys that could decipher them faster and better than I, if you wanted to.

Thanks,

JC
http://mail.yahoo.com