[sane-devel] Might try to create backend for Visioneer 6600

Gerard Klaver gerard at gkall.hobby.nl
Sat Jun 3 08:03:27 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 21:37 -0700, JC SIMS wrote:
> I hate having to run windows just to scan something, so I thought I
> might give this a shot, since I haven't seen anyone else pick it up.
>
> I am not sure if I will have success, or if I will run out of time,
> but I have done some initial research.  I got some scan session usb
> logs.   I could not get any usb snoopers to work in XP under VMWare,
> so instead I turned on VMWare usb logging and pulled the info from the
> vmware log file.
>
> I have gotten the source for sane, and started trying to get oriented.
> I can use the sanei_usb functions to connect to the scanner and verify
> the product and vendor code.  My next step was going to be to ask it
> for the descriptor, but I am not sure how exactly to do that.
>
> How do you get the response back from sanei_usb_control_msg?  Does it
> always require a buffer and does it always return the response back on
> that buffer (the same one you passed in and may have sent data
> over...)?
>
> I know from the trace that I should send something like this:  80 06
> 00 01 00 00 12 00.  And I would expect in return something like this:
> 80 06 00 01 00 00 12 00
> 12 01 10 01 00 00 00 08 a7 04 2a 02 00 00 01 03
> 00 01
>
> Could someone point me to sample code that shows the "right" way to do
> this?  Is there a usb/sane tutorial that is "perfect" for someone
> looking into this?  The other backends are good examples of course,
> but maybe something that is usb but pretty simple, for the beginner.
> If one of the backends is extra easy to comprehend, maybe suggest one
> for me.  I have looked at several; there is a lot going on.  I get the
> idea but it's easy to get lost in the details.
>
> The only other thing, is there any tip or reference for deciphering
> the usb messages?  The only one I recognize is the very generic: 80 06
> 00 01 00 00 12 00 (get device descriptor I believe...).  It took me an
> hour or two to figure out what was going on there ( I didn't know the
> structure of usb messages).  The references I found don't offer tips
> much beyond the get descriptor messages.  At least they got me that
> far.  But I wonder if there is some better source of info about the
> messages?  There are a lot of them in my scan file and I don't know
> what any of them are....I know that some are custom vendor codes and
> that's the whole point, but I bet a lot of them could be standard, if
> I knew how to tell.
>
> If anyone is interested in looking at my scan logs either to help or
> or any other reason, say so and I can find somewhere to put them where
> you can get at them.  I'm pretty sure there some of you guys that
> could decipher them faster and better than I, if you wanted to.
>
> Thanks,
>
> JC

Did you check this page :
http://www.sane-project.org/unsupported/visioneer-onetouch6600.html

If this is your scanner, check with sane-find-scanner -v -v (1.0.17)
if stil is mentioned that it is a gl646 chip, check the genesys backend
(supports the GL646 chip) and patch this backend to get your scanner
working.
--
--------
m.vr.gr.