[sane-devel] UMax PowerLook 2100XL under OpenBSD, still

Alan Corey alancorey at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 8 21:03:36 UTC 2006

I had made an initial post, then posted a debug run which ended up in a
different thread because I subscribed in digest mode initially so I couldn't
reply.  Anyway, I saw a tiny bit of activity on my debug file in my Apache
logs, but I don't really know who looked and I haven't heard anything.

To recap, it looks like I need to set "option scsi-buffer-size-min 32768" to
something bigger.  I'm seeing errors like "ERROR: too small scsi buffer (32768
bytes) to send gamma data" and "ERROR: scsi buffer is to small for one shading
line, calibration aborted" and "scanimage: sane_start: Out of memory"

When I try to increase the scsi-buffer min size even to 33768 though, I get
"ERROR: sane_start: umax_scsi_open_extended returned too small scsi buffer"
then "scanimage: sane_start: Out of memory".  With this value increased it
won't even start the calibrate (the scanner never moves).

With the 32768 value I can scan a small area of RGB data successfully, or do a
full gray-scale or lineart scan.  At some point though I don't have memory
enough for a larger RGB scan.  I'm not sure how to change this.  The operating
system is OpenBSD 3.8, the SCSI card is an Adaptec 2940u.

So, the files:

At http://128.119.200.7/debug.txt is the result of doing a small area RGB scan
which worked. (scanimage -v --resolution=300 -y 100 -x 100 > test1.pnm
2>debug.txt)

At http://128.119.200.7/debug2.txt is the result of a larger area that didn't
work (scanimage -v --resolution=300 -y 200 -x 200 > test1a.pnm 2>debug2.txt)

At http://128.119.200.7/debug3.txt is the result of setting option
scsi-buffer-size-min to 33768 and trying the larger scan again.

My umax.conf file is at http://128.119.200.7/umax.conf if that might be of use,
and there is mention of an Astra 2200 on USB in there because I also have one
of those.  I don't have it here though, so I haven't tried it on SCSI (lately,
on this machine).

  Alan