[sane-devel] UMax PowerLook 2100XL under OpenBSD, still

m. allan noah anoah at pfeiffer.edu
Thu Jun 8 23:14:40 UTC 2006

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, Alan Corey wrote:

> I had made an initial post, then posted a debug run which ended up in a
> different thread because I subscribed in digest mode initially so I couldn't
> reply.  Anyway, I saw a tiny bit of activity on my debug file in my Apache
> logs, but I don't really know who looked and I haven't heard anything.

i looked at your logs, but i do not know enough about *bsd or umax backend
to be of much help.

> To recap, it looks like I need to set "option scsi-buffer-size-min 32768" to
> something bigger.  I'm seeing errors like "ERROR: too small scsi buffer (32768
> bytes) to send gamma data" and "ERROR: scsi buffer is to small for one shading
> line, calibration aborted" and "scanimage: sane_start: Out of memory"
>
> When I try to increase the scsi-buffer min size even to 33768 though, I get
> "ERROR: sane_start: umax_scsi_open_extended returned too small scsi buffer"
> then "scanimage: sane_start: Out of memory".  With this value increased it
> won't even start the calibrate (the scanner never moves).

this indicates that sane was unable to request that the os scsi driver
provide a big enough buffer. dont know how you ask an openbsd scsi devel
to look at it. you could try running (with the larger buffer size)

SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_SCSI=255 scanimage...

and read sanei_scsi.c to see if you can get some hints.

i wonder if line 281 is your issue:

# define MAX_DATA       (32*1024)

allan