[sane-devel] Scanjet 3400C and cygwin

Jon Chambers jon at jon.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 13 12:15:23 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, Matthias Appel wrote:
>> Possibly the niash backend is not specified in dll.conf(the configuration
>> file for the dynamic backend loader). Do you see any references to niash
>> when you do 'export SANE_DEBUG_DLL=255' and then run 'scanimage -L' again?
> I just did that and i got the following error:
> [dll] load: searching backend `nec' in `/usr/local/lib/sane'
> [dll] load: trying to load `/usr/local/lib/sane/cygsane-niash-1.dll'
> [dll] load: couldn't open `/usr/local/lib/sane/cygsane-niash-1.dll' (No such
> file
> or directory)
> [dll] load: couldn't find backend `niash' (No such file or directory)
> I checked the directory and I only found libsane-niash.a and libsane-niash.la

That's interesting: I just had the same experience with yesterday's CVS
snapshot (12 June), trying to test dell1600n_net on WinXP/cygwin.

The problem first shows up in some build messages which appear to come
from libtool saying that a compatible version of phtreads could not be
found to link dynamically and so only a static version of the backend
would be built.  The dll backend clearly can't load this!  I will try to
dig deeper this evening.

On a different note, when i unpacked the snapshot and just did
"./configure && make" it failed to compile like:

coolscan.c: In function `attach_scanner':
coolscan.c:2096: warning: implicit declaration of function `strdup'
coolscan.c:2096: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
coolscan.c: In function `reader_process':
coolscan.c:2574: warning: implicit declaration of function `fdopen'
coolscan.c:2574: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
coolscan.c:2593: error: structure has no member named `sa_handler'
make[1]: *** [coolscan.lo] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/downloads/sane-backends/backend'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

I'm not at home now so I can't tell you the exact version of gcc but it is
whatever is the newest cygwin version.  (I updated cygwin before
starting.)

I got around this by just compiling the backends I needed but I guess this
should be addressed prior to the release.

cheers,
Jon