[sane-devel] HP 8270 scanjet support

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 00:14:42 UTC 2008

On 1/27/08, olin.sane.7ia at shivers.mail0.org
<olin.sane.7ia at shivers.mail0.org> wrote:
>    I've checked out the sane-frontend & sane-backend modules from the CVS repos.
>    I've already got sane installed on my ubuntu box. What's the minimal
>    rebuild/replace I need to do to check out the cvs stuff? Everything? Just
>    the backends? Just the frontends?
>
> To be a little more precise about where I am:
>
> - I have sane installed on my ubuntu (x86_64 gutsy) system via the standard
>   .deb packages libsane, sane & sane-utils. (Plus apps like xsane.)
>
> - I have checked out the sane-frontend & sane-backend modules from the repos
>       cvs.alioth.debian.org:/cvsroot/sane
>
> - I have successfully compiled the sane-backend code from the CVS checkout.
>   I haven't installed it yet, nor have I tried to compile the frontend.
>
> Can you advise me on what the right thing to do next is?
>     -Olin

you should send this types of question to the list, so the
ubuntu/debian guys can help, but here goes my try:

you only need sane-backends, and you should pass the right args to
./configure so that it will overwrite your existing sane install. (the
default is to install in /usr/local, but this gives two copies of
sane, and your linker might pick up the old one)

something like (all on one line):

/configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var
--mandir=/usr/share/man

or (on 64 bit system, also on one line):

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var
--mandir=/usr/share/man --libdir=/usr/lib64

note- these are for a fedora box, not ubuntu, so they might need
adjusting- looking at where your existing package put things and
configure --help are your best bet there.

then just make and make install

allan