[sane-devel] fujitsu scanner owners needed

spammed spammed at get2net.dk
Sat Jun 7 14:34:15 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 09:48 -0400, m. allan noah wrote:

> In the past few weeks, I have made several updates to the fujitsu sane
> backend. I don't really have a good list of testers, so I am putting
> out a call for all fujitsu backend users to please try the current
> version from SANE CVS.

I have done some testing with my fi-5110-EOX and scanimage. The backend
+scanimage is from CVS as of 5 June.

> Particular areas to watch out for:
> 1. JPEG output is now possible, but will only work with scanimage from
> cvs, or some other sane 1.1 compliant frontend

JPEG output works fine. Is the compression done by the scanner or the
backend?

> 2. The mechanism for determining the color interlace mode is now
> automatic, so please see if color scans look weird, particularly if
> the scanner has done a color scan in windows without being power
> cycled.

Not really tested, but no problems observed.

> [...]
> 4. the scanner device is now named 'fujitsu:model:serial' instead of
> the system provided name, if the scanner supports serial number
> detection. please verify that the new name actually matches your
> scanner :)

Model and serial is correct.

> 5. initialization code has changed somewhat, the backend should find
> scanners if they are plugged in after the front-end starts (requires
> custom daemon frontend to test, I dont know of any in the wild)

Not tested, would need instructions...

> 6. please test page-width and page-height support, it seems that some
> cheaper scanners don't work.
> [...]
> Known issues:
> [...]
> 2. page-width and page-height don't seem to work for the fi-5110EOX,
> needs software emulation

As previously found, page-width is ignored. I am all set to test any
improvements on this front :-)
The page-height option works as expected in combination with
dfdetect=Length except that dfdiff seems to be fixed at 10mm. A long
page (paper jam) occurring as the last sheet of a batch is detected only
on the next invocation of scanimage. (May be a limitation of the
scanner's detection mechanism, or a scanimage issue?)

Some additional observations about this scanner, for the record:

- dfdetect=Thickness is ignored.

- the overscan option seems to be ignored, although I am not sure I
fully understand its purpose. The output looks identical, with no
additional space at the top. What is the bgcolor option mentioned in the
--help -d output?

- the sleeptimer option works, but does not put the scanner as such into
sleep mode. It just dims the scanner lamps after the specified interval
if no paper is inserted.

Btw, there seems to be a bit of weirdness going on if these last two
options are both present on the command line (individually they are
accepted):

$ scanimage -n --sleeptimer=5 --overscan=Off
scanimage: rounded value of sleeptimer from 5 to 5
scanimage: setting of option --overscan failed (Invalid argument)
$ scanimage -n --overscan=Off --sleeptimer=5
scanimage: setting of option --sleeptimer failed (Invalid argument)

Best regards,
Jacob Nielsen