[sane-devel] saned, Network Scanner, Automatic Document Feeder

Nicolas nicolas.martin at freesurf.fr
Sun Oct 5 08:58:16 UTC 2008

Good news then, I've included this fix for next pixma CVS commit.

BTW, my answers to your questions in the text below,
I copy also the Sane-dev mailing list too, as those points regarding ADF
are interesting:

Le samedi 04 octobre 2008 à 00:55 +0200, Pascal Seiler a écrit :
> Hey Nicolas, your great!!!
>
> I did a few tests and all worked perfect. At the beginning of testing I
> had a situation where the scanner hung and I had to power cycle it. I
> can't reproduce that, but I think it was murphy. :-) Here's what I did
> so far (all over the net in debug mode (SANE_DEBUG_PIXMA=10, scaned
> -d128, as well as with inetd):
>
> scanimage flatbed from command line with and without batch-count
> scanimage adf from command line with and without batch-count
>
> gscan2pdf in scanimage mode as well as with scanadf, both with page
> count and with continuous mode (all pages)
>
> The log files in flatbed mode are produced with 'batch-count' (otherwise
> the log would get endless) ;-) and in ADF mode I did without.
>
> flatbed.log
> scanimage --mode=Color --source='flatbed' -y 2 -l 0 --resolution=300 -x
> 2 -t 0 --batch --progress --batch-count=3 > tmp/scantest -v
>
> adf.log
> scanimage --mode=Color --source='Automatic Document Feeder' -y 2 -l 0
> --resolution=300 -x 2 -t 0 --batch --progress > tmp/scantest -v
>
> Here are a few more questions:
> - Am I right that I need the new files only on the backend?
> - For other clients can I use the packages that ships with the distribution?
Yes, the patch file I sent you is for the backend, running on your
server.
For the other clients which uses the frontend, this file is not necessary,
you can run the frontends coming with your distribution.

> - I think this is related to the graphical frontends, but I mayask
> anyway. When scanning with xsane and gscan2pdf I get this error messages
> when the ADF gets out of documents.
>
> 	- xsane
> 	 error during read: Document feeder out of documents.
>
> 	- gscan2pdf
> 	Unknown message: scanimage: sane_read: Document feeder out of documents
Yes, this is working as designed, those messages are returned by the
frontend because the backend informs it about "No Paper", when its ADF
is empty.

> For sure this is a cosmetical error and if canceled I can finish or
> continue the job but it would be nice to have more convenient messages.
>
> For example:
> If a number of pages to scan is defined and ADF is empty, give a message
>   with the option to either load ADF and continue toscan or to cancel
> the scan job.
> If the 'all page' option is selected the job should just silently finish.
IMHO, this is related to frontend only, but maybe I'm wrong ?

In a more general way, I think it would be fine if the backend could
tell the frontend, at the end of a page scan: "My ADF is not empty,
could you request me another page to scan" ?
This way, it wouldn't be necessary to specify the # of pages to scan,
this would act as a copier, feeding paper automatically as long as
there's paper in the ADF.
Is that possible with Sane ?