[sane-devel] ADF in scanimage for Epson GT-1500 on RHEL5

adnanwk adnanwk at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 20 15:07:25 UTC 2009

I have version 2.18 of iscan package.

RPM Installation:
    5  rpm -ivh libtool-ltdl-1.5.22-6.1.i386.rpm
    6  rpm -ivh libtool-ltdl-devel-1.5.22-6.1.i386.rpm
    7  rpm -ivh iscan-2.18.0-2.c2.i386.rpm
    8  rpm -ivh iscan-plugin-gt-1500-2.1.1-1.c2.i386.rpm

Please read your email and response to it. At end of email, I have included
the device options that I get using
scanimage --help -d epkowa:interpreter:002:003
command. See that there are a lot of [inactive] options in it,
though same functionality that is marked as inactive in it can
be used using iscan.

This is a virgin installation of RHEL-5, with nothing but this scanner
installed.
No other software or hardware is installed.

Sorry for not including the device-info details in previous mail. I did not
have
access to the scanner at that moment.

Flatbed is usable with imagescan. When i take the device options with
scanimage --help -d epkowa:interpreter:002:003 (see end of message to
see details output of device options)

I get this
   Optional equipment:
    --source Flatbed|Automatic Document Feeder [inactive]
and
    --adf-mode Simplex|Duplex [inactive]
        Selects the ADF mode (simplex/duplex)

The source option has (inactive) at end of it. And if I still try to
mentioned the source using
   #  scanimage --source Automatic Document Feeder
I get error message telling me option is not active.
Meanwhile, I can still successfully use imagescan with flatbed and iscan
with both flatbed and ADF.

here is the detail of
# scanimage --help -d epkowa:interpreter:002:003

Usage: scanimage [OPTION]...

Start image acquisition on a scanner device and write PNM image data to
standard output.

-d, --device-name=DEVICE   use a given scanner device (e.g. hp:/dev/scanner)
    --format=pnm|tiff      file format of output file
-i, --icc-profile=PROFILE  include this ICC profile into TIFF file
-L, --list-devices         show available scanner devices
-f, --formatted-device-list=FORMAT similar to -L, but the FORMAT of the
output
                           can be specified: %d (device name), %v (vendor),
                           %m (model), %t (type), and %i (index number)
-b, --batch[=FORMAT]       working in batch mode, FORMAT is `out%d.pnm' or
                           `out%d.tif' by default depending on --format
    --batch-start=#        page number to start naming files with
    --batch-count=#        how many pages to scan in batch mode
    --batch-increment=#    increase number in filename by an amount of #
    --batch-double         increment page number by two for 2sided originals
                           being scanned in a single sided scanner
    --batch-prompt         ask for pressing a key before scanning a page
    --accept-md5-only      only accept authorization requests using md5
-p, --progress             print progress messages
-n, --dont-scan            only set options, don't actually scan
-T, --test                 test backend thoroughly
-h, --help                 display this help message and exit
-v, --verbose              give even more status messages
-B, --buffer-size          change default input buffersize
-V, --version              print version information

Options specific to device `epkowa':
  Scan Mode:
    --mode Binary|Gray|Color [Color]
        Selects the scan mode (e.g., lineart, monochrome, or color).
    --depth 8|16 [8]
        Number of bits per sample, typical values are 1 for "line-art" and 8
        for multibit scans.
    --halftoning None|Halftone A (Hard Tone)|Halftone B (Soft Tone)|Halftone
C (Net Screen) [inactive]
        Selects the halftone.
    --dropout None|Red|Green|Blue [inactive]
        Selects the dropout.
    --brightness 0..0 [inactive]
        Selects the brightness.
    --sharpness -2..2 [inactive]

    --gamma-correction User defined (Gamma=1.0)|User defined (Gamma=1.8)
[User defined (Gamma=1.8)]
        Selects the gamma correction value from a list of pre-defined
devices
        or the user defined table, which can be downloaded to the scanner
    --color-correction User defined [inactive]
        Sets the color correction table for the selected output device.
    --resolution 600dpi [600]
        Sets the resolution of the scanned image.
    --x-resolution 150|225|300|600|900|1200dpi [300]
        Sets the horizontal resolution of the scanned image.
    --y-resolution 150|225|300|600|900|1200|1800|2400dpi [300]
        Sets the vertical resolution of the scanned image.
    --threshold 0..255 [inactive]
        Select minimum-brightness to get a white point
  Advanced:
    --mirror[=(yes|no)] [inactive]
        Mirror the image.
    --speed[=(yes|no)] [no]
        Determines the speed at which the scan proceeds.
    --auto-area-segmentation[=(yes|no)] [inactive]

    --short-resolution[=(yes|no)] [no]
        Display short resolution list
    --zoom 50..200 [inactive]
        Defines the zoom factor the scanner will use
    --red-gamma-table 0..255,...
        Gamma-correction table for the red band.
    --green-gamma-table 0..255,...
        Gamma-correction table for the green band.
    --blue-gamma-table 0..255,...
        Gamma-correction table for the blue band.
    --wait-for-button[=(yes|no)] [no]
        After sending the scan command, wait until the button on the scanner
        is pressed to actually start the scan process.
    --monitor-button[=(yes|no)] [no]
        Indicates whether a button on the scanner has been pressed
(read-only
        option).
  Color correction coefficients:
    --cct-1 -2..2 [1.19449]
        Controls red level
    --cct-2 -2..2 [-0.141296]
        Adds to red based on green level
    --cct-3 -2..2 [-0.0531921]
        Adds to red based on blue level
    --cct-4 -2..2 [-0.192886]
        Adds to green based on red level
    --cct-5 -2..2 [1.25249]
        Controls green level
    --cct-6 -2..2 [-0.0595856]
        Adds to green based on blue level
    --cct-7 -2..2 [-0.0234985]
        Adds to blue based on red level
    --cct-8 -2..2 [-0.276093]
        Adds to blue based on green level
    --cct-9 -2..2 [1.29959]
        Control blue level
  Preview:
    --preview[=(yes|no)] [no]
        Request a preview-quality scan.
    --preview-speed[=(yes|no)] [no]

  Geometry:
    -l 0..215.9mm [0]
        Top-left x position of scan area.
    -t 0..297.18mm [0]
        Top-left y position of scan area.
    -x 0..215.9mm [215.9]
        Width of scan-area.
    -y 0..297.18mm [297.18]
        Height of scan-area.
    --quick-format CD|A5 portrait|A5 landscape|Letter|A4|Max [Max]

  Optional equipment:
    --source Flatbed|Automatic Document Feeder [inactive]
        Selects the scan source (such as a document-feeder).
    --auto-eject[=(yes|no)] [yes]
        Eject document after scanning
    --film-type Positive Film|Negative Film [inactive]

    --focus-position Focus on glass|Focus 2.5mm above glass [inactive]
        Sets the focus position to either the glass or 2.5mm above the glass
    --bay  1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6  [inactive]
        Select bay to scan
    --eject []
        Eject the sheet in the ADF
    --adf-mode Simplex|Duplex [inactive]
        Selects the ADF mode (simplex/duplex)
    --detect-doc-size[=(yes|no)] [inactive]
        Activates document size auto-detection.  The scan area will be set
        match the detected document size.

Type ``scanimage --help -d DEVICE'' to get list of all options for DEVICE.

List of available devices:
    epkowa:interpreter:002:003

Thanks and regards

Adnan