[sane-devel] sane and gt-2500

Wolfram Heider wolframheider at web.de
Mon Jul 5 13:40:58 UTC 2010

On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 09:39:40 +0200, Alessandro <aleuser at inwind.it> wrote:

> Hi all,
>    we are going to buy an Epson gt-2500, but I have some questions about
> it and sane, I hope someone of you can help me (and I hope I'm not OT)
>
> 1- on internet I see the gt-2500 is able to get the preview in 9 sec..

Can't confirm this - with me, using the iscan gui, preview starts almost
immediately. However if you are in a network and saned is running it may
take some time till saned has identified all available scanners and is
presenting a selection list.

> it's a very long time! Is it the "lamp warming time"? Can I keep it warm
> in some way? Is it strange a "27ppm" scanner takes more than 9 seconds
> in order to get the first scanned page? This is a common problem: I
> can't understand the effective scanning time for the first page, that is
> the most common case for simple office documents.
>
> 2- Can I handle the scanner button? With sane, or polling some
> "/proc/scanner/button/blabla" driver file, or other.

If you are using iscan you can handle the button (in Xsane it doesn't work)

> 3- I'd like to use the sane command line. Is sane able to automatically
> use the ADF if there are some pages in it? Or have I to choose ADF or
> A4-plane with a command line arguments?

You will need arguments in scanimage, scanadf etc - else the GT-2500 will
work in flatbed mode.

> 4- For these "high speed" scanners is USB 2.0 necessary in order to get
> the maximum performance? Or USB 1.1 is enough?

No idea, I have only USB 2.0.

Note, to run the GT-2500 you will need the epkowa backend. It isn't part
of the SANE drivers, but it perfectly fits in. You can get it here:
http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/

In summary I would say the GT-2500 is a very recommendable machine,
especially with heavy duty jobs when hundreds of sheets have to be scanned
in one swoop.

Wolfram Heider