[sane-devel] Where do I get the SANE support on Sun SPARC for HP 5590 Scanner

Ilia Sotnikov hostcc at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 13:24:38 UTC 2010

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 1:35 PM, Omar Halaseh <omar at omnix.ae> wrote:
> Many thanks for your prompt help Ilia. I really appreciate it.

You are welcome, glad to help on using open source solutions.

> Actually we are trying to write a simple front end solution within Active/X
> to interact with scanners connected to SunRay thin clients running on
> Solaris servers.
> We'll take a look at the documentation and try to make use of ready made
> components as much as possible. Isn't there any Windows libraries that will
> help in building a frontend that doesn't rely on Cygwin?

Well, as I mentioned earlier, I've made native (non-Cygwin) versions
of the libraries, although didn't commit them. Not sure when I could
have a time to update the patches for the current SANE backends. As a
starting point, I could sent you compiled binaries along with the
patches (they are against sane backends 1.0.18)

> We've tried some of the windows frontends such as XSane, and scanimage that
> accompanies it. The SANE libraries accompanying it seems to be of an older
> version "1.0.16". We get an error "Can't determine the option count." Is
> this error due to a difference in the version numbers of the network
> protocol. We're using the "net" backend to communicate with the scanner
> remotely and the backend at the server is 1.0.20.

I've ported Xsane to Win32 too, although it's a bit old (XSane 0.991).
In general words, I was interested in a complete frontend solution for
Win32 and ported all necessary parts (SANE libraries, scanimage and
XSane). The XSane patches weren't sent to mainline as well. I could
give you the all libraries and binaries, along with patches, so you
could try to use them and reduce implementation time, if the solution
suits your needs.

> I have another question. Do you know if we can use SANE with fingerprint
> reader devices such as U.ARE.U 4500 fingerprint readers from Digital
> Persona:
> http://www.digitalpersona.com/developer/U-are-U-Fingerprint-Readers/U-are-U-4500-Reader/4500-Reader/

Haven't even heard about such device. Usual way to check whether a
device is supported is:
- take a look at list of the devices supported by SANE
(http://www.sane-project.org/sane-supported-devices.html)
- take current GIT snapshot and compile it
- gather all device information (vendor, 'sane-find-scanner -v -v -v' output)
- try to scan
- report your findings on the sane-devel mailing list

Perhaps, someone could recognize the device and give you some suggestions.

Best regards,
--
 Ilia Sotnikov