[sane-devel] HP Scanjet 8270 / Avision backend / ok but strange issue

Olivier Crouzet olivier.crouzet at univ-nantes.fr
Fri Jan 7 14:44:45 UTC 2011

Dear all,

I've just received this HP Scanjet 8270 (ADF) scanner two days ago and
I'm in the process of getting it working with my Debian Testing
workstation.

As this scanner needs the latest version of the avision backend, I've
recompiled the libsane-backends Debian package after having replaced
the avision.* files in the source as stated on the avision backend web
page. I've now reinstalled the package and the scanner works almost
flawlessly for what I've tried up to now (ADF works, gray / color no
issue).

However, though I own another old Epson scanner which I can use as a
regular user, It seems I can only use the new HP as root... No need to
say I'm a member of the "scanner" group... I've tried to locate various
information concerning the possibility of specifying users permissions
for usb devices but all the information I can find seems to concern old
kernels / udev... systems... Is it possible that it is related to the
backend itself ???

Any hint ? I haven't recompiled the whole of sane (only the backends),
is it a possible source of this issue ?

Thanks anyway for the development of the avision backend.

Olivier.

--
  Olivier Crouzet, PhD
  Laboratoire de Linguistique -- EA3827

     phone:        (+33) 02 40 14 14 05 (lab.)
                   (+33) 02 40 14 14 36 (office)
     fax:          (+33) 02 40 14 13 27
     e-mail:       olivier.crouzet at univ-nantes.fr

  http://www.lling.fr/