[sane-devel] infoprint 1650 mfp

Ilan Tal ilan.tal at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 14:05:28 UTC 2011

Hello,
I may be asking something impossible. If so, please let me know.

I have an infoprint 1650 mfp printer/scanner which is on a LAN, stand alone
and not connected to any particular computer. The printer part works just
fine, out-of-the-box. The scanner part is another story. SANE doesn't detect
the scanner.

In Windows there is a "scanback" program which basically puts a "protocol"
on the printer by which the user put the document into the scanner, presses
a button on the scanner and the document is scanned and a pdf file is
shipped over the LAN to the Windows PC. Thus it seems clear that Windows too
doesn't directly see the scanner. Apparently this is the reason SANE doesn't
see it either.

Since Windows has a solution, I would like a solution for Ubuntu as well.
Otherwise one is stuck with Windows. I wonder if anyone has any ideas on
what might be available, or how to solve the problem?

Thanks,
Ilan