[sane-devel] parallel port sniffing?

Daniel Glöckner daniel-gl at gmx.net
Wed Jun 13 21:04:04 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 11:32:16PM +0900, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
> Thank you for your reply---that sounds interesting. It is the first
> reply I had, which I find a bit strange: does most development for
> paralletl scanners rely on them working with a parallel-to-USB
> connector (and then using UsbSnoop)?

If the driver uses the Windows API and does not write directly to the
i/o ports, you can use Mark Russinovich's Portmon.

I simply disassembled the driver or firmware in my last attempts to
reverse engineer a parallel port protocol.

> At the moment I lack a Win95 or Win98 VM to try this on, but I'll keep
> your kind offer in mind.

Define DEBUG_PARALLEL in Qemu's hw/parallel.c and it will print everything
to stdout. You need to redirect the port to /dev/parallel0.

  Daniel