[sane-devel] scanner not found

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Mon Mar 25 22:57:07 UTC 2013

Albrecht Mehl writes:

> I want to use the scanner
>
>    epson perfection v 330 photo
>
> within opensuse linux 12.2. But when xsane 0.998 is opened while the
> scanner is on the message 'No device found' appears.
>
> According to yast2 the following has been installed
>
>    - hplip-sane
>    - ksaneplugin
>    - libksane0
>    - sane-backends
>    - sane-backends-32bit
>    - sane-backends-autoconfig
>    - xsane
>
> In yast2, hardware, scanner, configuration the scanner is listed as not
> configured. Modify opens a long driver's list. For my scanner - see
> above - there is but one driver, but one is cautioned not to use it.

As Yuri mentioned in another post already, this scanner is supported by
iscan + non-free plugin.  Packages are available via:

  http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/?OSC=LX

The reason that yast2 cautions about it use is most likely because the
plugin is non-free so you cannot help yourself or have others help you
when you have a problem with it.

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962