[sane-devel] Help needed diagnosing strange failure to scan with Samsung SCX-4500W

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Mon May 6 20:12:36 UTC 2013

I have a strange scanner failure to try to resolve, and I am hoping that an
expert on this list may be able to help me fix the problem.

I have a Samsung SCX-4500W multifunction printer that is plugged in to the
usb port of my main machine running arch linux x86_64.  The printer part
works fine with the Splix driver, but the scanner fails to work.

When I unplug the device and plug it into a laptop running arch linux, it
works fine. On a second laptop also running arch linux the scanner
functions also work fine (xsane). However plugging the same device back in
to my main desktop the scanner fails to work.

Some information is as follows:

sane-find-scanner works as either root or user and yields lines including:

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04e8 [Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.],
product=0x342b [SCX-4500W Series]) at libusb:001:007
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
supported by

scanimage -L works the first time I issue the command but then subsequently
fails:

scanimage -L
device `xerox_mfp:libusb:001:006' is a Samsung Samsung SCX-4500W Series
multi-function peripheral

scanimage -L

The device is listed correctly with the lsusb command:
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 04e8:342b Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd

The file /etc/sane.d/xerox_mfp.conf does have the correct line for the
device:
# Samsung SCX-4500W
usb 0x04e8 0x342b

The system log files contain lines like:
May  6 16:43:27 localhost kernel: [ 8041.053060] usb 1-4: usbfs: interface
1 claimed by usblp while 'xsane' sets config #1

I have tried unplugging the device and replugging it but nothing I do ever
seems to make any difference.  I also removed the .sane directory from the
user and started from new and nothing changed.

The udev rules file seems fine and in less
/lib64/udev/rules.d/53-sane.rules the lines relevant to the device are:

# Samsung SCX-4500W
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04e8", ATTRS{idProduct}=="342b", MODE="0664",
GROUP="scanner", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

The system is fully up to date, and runs with systemd. The two laptops one
of which is x86_64 and the other i386 are both the same arch setup, and
both up to date. They work but the main machine does not.

Can anyone suggest how I might be able to narrow down where the problem may
lie?

Many thanks for any help.

--
mike c