[sane-devel] Need help with Canon scanner

Alan McConnell alan at his.com
Fri Aug 21 14:19:55 UTC 2015

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 10:11:06PM +0200, Rolf Bensch wrote:
> Hi Allan,
>
> Sorry for my missunderstanding instrunction.
  	Perhaps it was I who misunderstood.

> Please install latest Sane backend from git (it's the ongoing
> development version) as described under "Step by step install on Linux
> 2.6.* and 3.*, both with udev" in README.linux. Here's the direct link:
> http://www.sane-project.org/README.linux .
  	I did this meticulously.  And I feel that I am closer than
	I was.  Whoever wrote up this doc did a good job.

	I'll give some results of my step-by-step progress through
	the instructions.  I got the
	    sane-backends-git20150821.tar.gz
	and did the standard ./confifure, make, and make install.
	The ldconfig results told me that there were some libs I'd
	never heard of which couldn't be found . . .
	But I now have  libsane.so.1.0.24  and   libsane.so.1.0.25
	in /usr/local/lib/ .

	In 3.2 the ln instruction creates a broken symlink.  I
	suspect that the instruction is wrong?

	Cutting to the chase, scanimage -L yields
device `pixma:04A92774_0147O24E997F' is a CANON Canon i-SENSYS
MF4700 Series multi-function peripheral
       	  ! !  Of course this cheered me mightily<g>.

	  But when I run scanimage > test.pnm, I get, after a long
	  wait, during which time my USB splitter lights blink wildly,
	        scanimage: sane_read: Device busy      ? ! ? !
	  This even when I press the "Scan" button on my Canon machine.

	  And I get a file test.pnd which reads as follows:
P6
# SANE data follows
640 877
255
          So I am clearly closer, but not there yet.  I hope that
	  this process converges
	  without any too many further iterations.

Again, thanks.  I hope that there is a member on this E-list who
is familiar with Canon three-in-one machines who can give me a tip.

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://globaltap.com/~alan/
     Have the courage to be ignorant of a great number of things, in