[sane-devel] XSane scans correctly, scanimage command does not

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Fri May 8 11:20:49 UTC 2015

Chances are, you have two different copies of sane-backends installed,
and xsane and scanimage are using different ones. Try running these at
the command line:

SANE_DEBUG_DLL=255 scanimage -L

and

SANE_DEBUG_DLL=255 xsane

then compare the debugging output. It will tell you what files are being loaded.

allan

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 7:05 AM,  <anders at acidgray.com> wrote:
> Hello there!
>
> I have a strange problem. I own a Mustek A3 2400S scanner and after
> overwriting the SANE backend with Mustek's 32-bit driver I was able to have
> it communicating with my computer (Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca). I also had to
> change some USB permissions in a udev rule and assign me to the "scanner"
> group - after that I could communicate with the scanner non-root too. But
> while XSane scans works fine, I have not managed to get it to work with even
> more simpler "scanimage" command, I tried a lot of different arguments to it
> too. It's making strange sounds etc., almost as it's trying to override the
> hardware specs (with Mustek on Linux you have to be careful). And of course,
> no actual scans.
>
> So how come XSane manages to scan properly whereas scanimage CLI will not?
> Does XSane use some parameters/driver not included in my "scanimage"
> command?
>
> I'm pretty sure I will turn my scanner into a toaster if I don't get this
> right soon - so any suggestions would be helpful! If you wonder why I insist
> on using scanimage instead of a GUI it's because I'm writing a bash script
> for batch processing.
>

> For more information, please read my forum thread here:
> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=195672
>

> -dwarf
>
> --

of my hand"