[sane-devel] Xsane can't find scanner - again, but this one is USB

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 06:32:43 UTC 2015

It's worse.

I plugged in my Canon LiDE scanner and it shows up on lsusb:

mar at marbase:~ $ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:8001 Intel Corp.
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:8009 Intel Corp.
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 008: ID 04a9:220e Canon, Inc. CanoScan N1240U/LiDE 30
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 04f9:0040 Brother Industries, Ltd
Bus 003 Device 005: ID 046d:c517 Logitech, Inc. LX710 Cordless Desktop Laser
Bus 003 Device 006: ID 413c:2011 Dell Computer Corp. Multimedia Pro Keyboard
Bus 003 Device 004: ID 413c:1005 Dell Computer Corp. Multimedia Pro Keyboard Hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

xsane hung after this.  I unplugged the scanner and plugged the HP
back in, and the Canon showed up in xsane, but of course it didn't
work.  I switched the cable back, and xsane hung again.  So I ran
sane-find-scanner:

mar at marbase:~ $ sudo sane-find-scanner
[sudo] password for mar:

  # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
  # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
  # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
  # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x220e [CanoScan])
at libusb:003:008
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by

  # Not checking for parallel port scanners.

  # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
  # can't be detected by this program.

Now xsane can't find any scanner, so I can't scan anything.

WTF?