[sane-devel] A Cooperation Message from Plustek Inc.

Gerhard Jäger gerhard at gjaeger.de
Wed Nov 2 12:13:55 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 02.11.2016 at 12:29 m. allan noah wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 12:43 PM, Yury Tarasievich
> <yury.tarasievich at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 01/11/16 14:37, m. allan noah wrote:
>>>
>>> Jenson- The SANE project certainly could accept your code for
>>> inclusion into our repository, if a few conditions are met. Namely:
>>>
>>> 1. The code must be completely open and suitable for use with our
>>> license. No binary or precompiled code, other than possible firmware
>>> uploads.

>> Isn't requiring anything beyond the point 1 a teensy bit over-reaching?
>
> Perhaps you are right. In order to include the source in
> sane-backends, it certainly must meet points 1,2,3 and 5. If Plustek
> Inc is only able to comply with #1, some other developer will have to
> perform the other steps, and hopefully point #4 as well. But we have
> to be realistic about finding someone like that.

in the good old days I did a similar thing for the Plustek backend.
In fact I had an NDA and the allowance to use their code - in fact
Windoze driver code. Additionally they spent quite a lot of test
devices and that was it.

The best solution would be to have a developer in Taiwan, but honestly
I doubt that. But - let's hear how Jenson and team is planning to
contribute.

However - it's a good thing to hear from a manufacturer.

Best regards,
  Gerhard