[sane-devel] [Scanbd] Set up for Canon PIXMA multifunction scanner - no button response
liquefry at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 12:13:13 UTC 2016
I've had a Canon MG8150 attached to my network for ages and decided to hook
it up to my network box (Fedora 23), basically hoping to automatically save
scans to my network drive when I press the scan button on the machine.
I followed various articles around the place to try and set this up but I
seem to have failed. Here's a summary of where I'm up to - would love some
help troubleshooting the problem:
- Have installed sane-backends-devel via dnf, and scanbd 1.4.4 from source
(using default configure / gmake approach, no options).
- Copied the /etc/sane.d/* files to /usr/local/etc/scanbd/sane.d/
- added a symbolic link from /etc/scanbd to /usr/local/etc/scanbd just in
case anything refers to that. I prefer working in usr to etc directly.
- Changed /etc/sane.d/saned.conf to only allow localhost
- Changed /usr/local/etc/scanbd/sane.d/saned.conf to allow all local network
- Changed /etc/sane.d/net.conf to have 2 lines, connect_timeout = 3 and
- Changed /etc/sane.d/dll.conf to have only net
- Changed /etc/local/etc/scanbd/sane.d/dll.conf to comment out net, and
remove the unnecessary references (just kept pixma)
- Saved scanbd_dbus to /etc/dbus-1/system.d/scandb_dbus.conf
- Create systemd files /usr/lib/systemd/system/scanbd.service and
scanbm.socket. Only change is to add the revised sane.d config directory.
My scanbd.conf file is default, with some minor amendments:
- changed the location of the sane.d configs:
- commented out unused scanner.d device references at the end apart from the
- changed the globaltest to refer to button-1 for testing purposes, but it
didn't seem to do anything:
- I also changed a few other actions (mostly commenting them out) but didn't
make any difference to the output.
When the scanner is started either manually or via the service, it appears
to work ok but never picks up a button press. The log always seems to show
a value of zero for the button polling response.
Test printer exists and is connected:
Test scanimage can find printer:
Scanimage can also send test greyscale.tiff to the network drive.
sane-find-scanner also finds the scanner, albeit only if signed in as root.
I've saved the log from scanbd to pastebin because it's huge.
I dont know if there's anything interesting in all that. I couldn't find
any errors. At the end of the log you can see that it just repeats a polling
cycle, but the values for the buttons never change no matter how much I
Has anyone got any thoughts on how I could get this working?
View this message in context: http://sane.10972.n7.nabble.com/Scanbd-Set-up-for-Canon-PIXMA-multifunction-scanner-no-button-response-tp20701.html
Sent from the SANE - Dev mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
More information about the sane-devel